So I currently find myself in a pickle, and I'm short an idea... literally.
Rewind to the beginning of the summer... I met this guy Adam when I was out with an old friend if mine from college. I must have given him my number, but I don't recall (and no, it's not because I was intoxicated, thank you very much).
Fast forward to about a month ago... Adam sends me a random text and thus begins a funny convo over text that lasts a couple of weeks. Then Adam suggests we get a drink sometimes. I said sure, why not.
(Side note: here's the 411 on Adam: lives in Southie, nice Jewish guy, in sales, went to UMass, my age.)
On a rainy Friday night (I believe it was Hurricane Earl?), I meet up with Adam at Bond, the hotel bar in Boston. Great place. We get a few drinks, have a great time, and I decide that I think I'd like to see him again.
So a week or so later, I'm back in Boston and we get dinner at Eastern Standard. Another fantastic place with delicious food (very impressive place to take a date), and NO, we did not split a glass of wine. And after dinner we go to the Mandarin Hotel bar - meh. Wouldn't recommend it unless you're staying there already.
Of course, something weird happens to me. (Always a story!) Adam and I are sitting at the bar, and this woman about 32 years old comes up to us, questionably drunk, and asks whether we are together. The question baffles both my date and me, and I blurt out "Yes." The woman says to me, "Oh too bad, my friend thinks your cute. But I'm married! And I'm pregnant!" Ummmmm, ok that doesn't make this situation any less awkward. (And NO, her friend was NOT cute, if you're wondering.)
But that's not where this story is going...
I decided, after this date, that I'd like to see him again. Things are going very well, I've had a great time with him so far, we get along, all in all, great guy.
There's just ONE. SMALL. CATCH. And I mean small... and that would be his height. (There's always a catch.) With heels, I may be his height or taller - and I'm only 5'1".
This is when I ask: is his height something I can get over? Every girl has certain criteria when it comes to her men, and we must determine which of those are deal-breakers. I wasn't sure yet whether the height issue was a deal-breaker, so I thought about how much fun I have with him, and decided to give it a shot, and see him again.
So a couple of weeks ago, I planned a great day in Newport - we saw the mansions, had lunch, walked around, got dinner - pretty much the perfect Newport day. And we even smooched. I had a FANTASTIC day! But I just couldn't shake this weird complex I had that he was so short.
And I had this weird complex feeling going into our last date last week when we saw The Town. (Great flick, highly recommend it, especially if you're from Boston.) Before I left for the movie, I had this unsettled feeling like I reeeeeallyyyy did not want to go, but it was too late at that point to cancel.
Since then, I have been thinking about it long and hard, and I've come to the conclusion that every girl has a deal-breaker, and mine was his height. One of my top rules for dating is that you should at least be attracted to your man. If you're not, things just won't go well for the relationship. And I'm just not attracted to his height. And NOW is the time to cut this thing short.
So now I'm in this pickle... I need to end it, need to tell him it's over, but HOW?! Oh man, breaking up IS hard to do! I obviously can't say "You're really nice, but just a little short for me." Besides his height he's great. So basically anything I say will be a lie.
This is where you all come in. I open this post for suggestions in dealing with my little problem. Any ideas?? (Keep in mind that when I talked to him yesterday, he said he already has "a great idea planned for our next date." Greeeeatttt, could he make this any harder??)
Phew! This post has left me shortness... of breath!
What about the good old: "it's not you it's me" line. You are in law school, so that's not so far off. Haha. jk. This is a tough one! I will try to come up with a better response.
ReplyDeleteI'm happy you went with the "good ole lie". it was necessary
ReplyDeletex
I was in a similar situation a few months ago. I tried politely blowing him off, but when he wouldn't get the hint I finally had to tell him that I'd been thinking about it and just didn't think we were "compatible". :) Never heard from him again.
ReplyDeleteOR you could say you've started getting serious with someone else. Kinda sucks for him, but hey...
Height is a huge deal breaker for me as well, If I can't wear my heels and have the guy be a little taller (even just an inch taller) then it's a no go. I actually tried to date a guy this past summer who was just about the same height as me when I was wearing flats and yeah I just couldn't get over the fact that when wearing heels I was taller! I feel you on this story....hope it ended well.
ReplyDelete